Tuesday, June 28, 2011

World Building

Why is it that I start working on the world building for my current project and I get inspiration for the project that got shelved?
I'm wondering if it's because I finally found the zone where the creativity is flowing like the Mississippi.
At the moment I have more ideas than I know what to do with. So I write them down in as much detail as I can without getting caught up. Even though I really, REALLY want to work on some of them right away.

I'm doing everything I can to stay focused on Regulator Seven and just get it Finished. There are so many things involved in world building that I forget until I reach that place in the story. Such as 'Hmm, they live in underground hives, where exactly do they get food?' I solved that problem by having a certain amount of hive colonies dedicated to farming. Then came the transportation problem 'How do they get from one hive to another if they can't travel for long periods of time overland because of recurring severe weather conditions?'
Again, had to come up with an underground solution. Still working on it but something very similar to a subway is in the works.

My word count on book one is stuck at 26521 for the moment. That's just the meaty core of the book, the actual sitting and writing out scenes. It doesn't include all the words I've written as notes. It doesn't include the 3ring binder I started to keep up with all the details and all the pages I've filled with research. It doesn't include the pictures I've cut and collaged into that notebook to give myself a clearer picture of my characters and the world they live in. (I'm very visual)
I feel guilty when I don't sit and write but I know I have to give myself a break. I. Am. World. Building.
I need to do these things to give myself a solid foundation. It's work. It counts. Even if I enjoy it and it doesn't feel like work.

I've labeled a page for each issue that I have to deal with in creating a world.
So far this is what I have:
  1. Geography
  2. Climate
  3. Housing
  4. Social Order
  5. Government
  6. Law Enforcement
  7. Communications
  8. Transportation
  9. Economy
  10. Waste Management (in an enclosed environment)
  11. Technology
  12. Religious Beliefs
  13. Education
  14. Medicine
  15. History
  16. Art/Entertainment
  17. Clothing/Fashion
  18. Military
  19. Food/Beverages
  20. Literature
  21. Employment
  22. Weapons Technology

WHEW! That's a lot of stuff! And I know I'm nowhere near finished with the research. Good thing I've given myself a year to finish the first book.
I hope that it'll get a little easier once I get the preliminary building out of the way. Granted, the reader will never see ALL the tiny little details that make the world work. I still need them for frame of reference. So when I need to get my character from one hive to another I'll be able to write it out as if it's no big deal. Once I get done worldbuilding for book one,  I'll have all the foundation pieces in place for easy reference in writing book two.

Yes. There will be a book two. There will be short stories set within the world of Regulator Seven. I love my Main Character and the world she lives in that much. I have to write about it, if only to preserve my sanity.

Maybe it's ambitious. Just a bit. I've never once been accused of lack of vision.

Do you world build?

2 comments:

  1. I world build like a crazed termite. I'm glad I stumbled across this post, because today I was focused entirely on refining the magic system.

    Basically, there are two worlds: ours and theirs. Theirs is more complicated than ours. They're fairly savvy when it comes to our science & how it works, but their science is so complicated they still call it magic, and they're still figuring it out -- different societies/countries are figuring it out at different paces.

    Today I focused on one particular culture's understanding of magic in that world. Phew. Their belief system is pagan and their everyday operation (lighting fires, fertilizing plants) involves different minerals and herbs. It's...so...complicated. Aaargh.

    I feel your pain.

    <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Worldbuilding is very complicated!
    That's why I started the binder--just to keep up with it all. No way I'll be able to remember everything on my own.

    I get the feeling I'm gonna have several binders by the time I'm done, LOL.

    The only thing to do is take a deep breath, let it out slow and try to relax and let the magic of writing flow out onto the pages.
    It'll be worth it when you see your world come alive to your readers and not just yourself.

    Thanks for the comment and the peak into the world your building!

    ReplyDelete