Thursday, July 14, 2011

There Will Be Cursing, Violence, and Sex Scenes

Ok. So to have those three things I have to turn off my inner critic.
Not the one who tells me all the negative things about my writing ability but the one who talks in my Pentacostal Grandmother's voice.
The one who is shocked when my characters so much as give each other 'The Look'. The one who faints at the sound of the word Fuck. The one who shakes her finger at me and tells me I'm going to Hell (with a big H)  when I add all the violent blood and gore that is involved in real, harsh, hard-core, conflict motivated life.

Don't get me wrong, I love her beyond words. But if I'm going to build a world that is real and believable I have to, I MUST, include the real things that real people do in daily life.
Real people get in fights.
Real people curse.
Real people have sex.

Real people stand on the side of the road by their yet-again-broken-down-truck-with-an-r.v.-attached-to-the-back and scream cuss words at the mechanic who assured me,...errr...them, it was fixed and kick the side of the thirty year old truck until dents form all over it.

Real people go to strip clubs, get blind stinking drunk, and shove wads of bills down the almost non existent g-string of a hard worn stripper just so she'll wave her tits a little closer.

Real people get in fights with each other and break skin and bone and smear blood everywhere in an attempt to prove who's the baddest badass all while cussing like the proverbial sailor and hoping the hot guy/girl onlookers appreciate all the work that was put into the badass wardrobe/hair.
Real people go to war and kill other people.
Real people are drug dealers and scam artists and gigolos.
Some Real people are sociopaths who don't give a damn about anyone or anything but themselves.

And yes, Real people get up early some mornings to attend church/temple/mass and pretend life is perfect and they are better than the world they live in for just a minute.

The point is that I can't let squeemishness prevent me from telling a story that makes you FEEL something. I can't let it stop me from expressing my own feelings through the art of storytelling.
So I turn off the Voice, put on my headphones and start writing.

And I secretly hope my Pentacostal Grandmother NEVER reads my stories

No comments:

Post a Comment