Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Easily Distracted

Okay, so I get to the writing time, make sure I have all the things in place and the little *before writing* rituals are done, sit down, put my hands on the keyboard aaaaaand.....uh, what's that noise?

Type a few words,
Why does it smell like that in here?

Type a few more words,
I hate that song, gotta change it.

Finish typing the sentence,
Seriously, what is that smell?

Begin typing the next sentence,
Ooh, gotta make note of that for the other project!

Finish next sentence,
Did my phone just beep? wonder if I got a message.*checks phone for the umpteenth time*

Type a few more words,
I can't stand it! What is that noise?!

This happens every time I start writing. Even when I have the crazy inspiration I need to get through the next few chapters. Yes, even when the muse is yelling at me to WRITE! WRITE! WRITE! I wonder if I'm the only person this happens too? Surely not.
Once I get focused I'm fine, I'm in the ZONE. I can write when the wind is screaming around the R.V. in an attempt to blow us over. I can write with the kids fighting, the t.v. blaring, two different radio stations and another t.v. blaring, the cat fussing and the phone ringing every five seconds. Oh, and let's not forget TweetDeck, e-mail, and Facebook notifications popping up.

But until I get to that zone of total focus I am so easily distracted it's not even funny. It doesn't matter what's going on around me. Peace and quiet or chaos and destruction. It takes me a while to find that space in my head, that quiet, undistracted place where I can hear my characters clearly.
The only thing for me to do is tolerate the annoying little things that annoy me and just keep typing. Even if the first few paragraphs are complete and utter drivel. I have to trust that I will find that zone eventually and hope that the words that flow out are as brilliant on review as they seemed to be when I was blindly writing them.

So I keep typing. (ooh, look, the bunnies are out!) and typing (blech, my coffee's gone cold) and typing (did my phone just beep?).

No comments:

Post a Comment