Monday, June 20, 2011

A Chat With The Muse

Do you see your muse as an actual person?
I do. 
We have a very stormy relationship. Sometimes we get along great. The writing flows along, pouring out of my imagination and onto the screen with nary a thought to the outside world. Other times, well, I'll just say she gets all pouty and refuses to help.
On those days it seems nothing I do will please her. Tempting chocolates? nah. Strong coffee and lots of quiet time? nah. A change of music and a quick reread of a favorite paperback? Nope. What? did you get your rag or something? *stink eye directed at me*

I can even see her perched on her cushy, gold velvet covered, imaginary ottoman. Arms crossed, half turned away from me, with a pouty look on her face. 
What did I do this time?
I have no idea. Honest.

So what do I do to get her back in the mood? I can try to ignore her. Doesn't work, I just get more frustrated. Dammit, we have work to do!
Seduction?( would you like a glass of wine, dear? how about a foot rub?) Again, no.

I try conversation, instead. Breakthrough! This is how we get back on track. Communication.
Sometimes the muse wants to talk about things other than work. Like when I'm going to take her somewhere interesting. (We're not so young anymore, my sweet, strip clubs and wild bars for body shots are out of the question)
So I came up with a list of conversation topics to help keep the lines of communication open.

1. Why in the world do you dress that way? (she likes to shock people and get attention)
2. How did you become a muse? (that was an interesting story)
3. What's the best thing about being a muse? (manipulation)
4. Who inspires you? do you have a muse? (she refused to answer that one)
5. When is the best time for you to be inspiring? (varies)
6. Where is your favorite place to go when your not with me? (she only smiled at that one and got all dreamy)

I'm sure you could (and should) come up with your own conversation starters for when your muse stops talking. Don't forget that they need breaks and vacations too. 
On the other hand, don't let your muse bully you either!
You're the writer, the muse works for you.


No comments:

Post a Comment