Tuesday, December 6, 2011

I FINISHED NANOWRIMO!!


I actually did it! My first NaNoWriMo ever and I won!
Even having my husband home for almost two weeks and having the kids all get sick with a stomach bug one after the other didn't stop me from finishing.
It was exciting, exhausting, draining, all those -ing things.

I set aside a project that I've been working on for a year so I could do NaNoWriMo. I started something completely new.
Regulator Seven, the story I set aside, is a Sci-Fi story.
The one I decided to work on for NaNoWriMo is Zombie Fortress. Horror, non-fiction, reportive--whatever.

It started out as a non-fiction sort of thing, but it needed way too much research to be able to finish it in time. So, I started with the fictional narrator. He's great!
Zombie Fortress isn't what I intended, it's close, but not quite. I just can't stay away from the fiction.

The non-fiction started out as a sort of how-to manual on building a zombie-proof fortress so you can survive the zombie apocalypse. I got that part right. But there is just so much stuff that goes into a how-to that there was no way it would get finished.
The author of the manual started out as me. But when I realized I couldn't finish, it morphed into the voice of a long lost author who never finished the manuscript.
It became a manuscript that was found in an abandoned compound by an archaeologist.
The archaeologist is the narrator. I've named him Dr. Ulfric Lockwood. I think it's the perfect name.

Now I have to go back and do revisions and lots of editing to make it work exactly the way I want it to.
That means I have to figure out how to hook the printer to my mini laptop. I do believe I have to download the program for it since the mini doesn't have a cd/rom thingy. But after that's done, I get to print out the novel and get out the highlighters and scissors. That's the fun part, hehehe.
Yup, I'm a visual writer. I need to see the story in front of me in total so I can see what doesn't fit. Then I cut it all up and tape it together. I highlight the best parts and takes tons of notes.

Then the revisions begin. I think I'm going to have a lot of fun with this one!

My new favorite character? Why, Dr. Ulfric Lockwood of course!

Thank you to everyone who cheered me on!

1 comment:

  1. From what you've described, it sounds like it will be great read! I'm looking forward to its release. ~ Maeke

    ReplyDelete